The Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) improves the lives of people who use care services by sharing knowledge about what works.
We are a leading improvement support agency and an independent charity working with adults’, families’ and children's care and support services across the UK. We also work closely with related services such as health care and housing.
SCIE has transformed itself. It has a strong productive relationship with my department and has helped embed improvement across the country. We look forward to a continuing collaboration.The Rt Hon Alistair Burt MP, Minister of State for Community and Social Care, Department of Health, speaking at Laing Buisson conference, Birmingham, May 2016.
We improve the quality of care and support services for adults and children by:
- identifying and sharing knowledge about what works and what’s new
- supporting people who plan, commission, deliver and use services to put that knowledge into practice
- informing, influencing and inspiring the direction of future practice and policy.
This vision is underpinned by the way we work which is:
- Co productive and collaborative: We co-produce our work with people who use services and their carers to identify what works and how that knowledge can be put into practice. We promote equality and value diversity and human rights. We collaborate with partners to influence future policy and practice, and to increase our reach and impact.
- Innovative and customer-focused: We meet the changing needs of our diverse audiences and customers with new and better services and products that support the delivery of high quality services.
- Enterprising and expert: We seek new opportunities to promote our knowledge and skills throughout the care and support and other sectors. Our work is based on a rigorous approach to identifying good and developing practice.
Our products and services
SCIE bids for funding from the Department of Health and other agencies. We use this funding to develop a range of freely available resources to help improve the knowledge, skills and practice of care staff and commissioners.
We also provide a range of paid-for services including training, consultancy, research and product development.
Find out more about SCIE’s:
If you would like to commission SCIE or are interested in working in partnership with us, please submit a training and consultancy enquiry.
SCIE is an independent charity. We raise funds by:
- bidding for work from government departments and organisations
- delivering commercial services including training, consultancy, research and evaluation.
In 2015/16 our projected budget is approximately £5 million.