The causes of dementia
What is the video about?
We hear from leading scientists and biomedical experts in the field. They explain in plain English the science and the physiology of dementia and differentiate between the various types of dementia. Using clear visual aids, they help us make sense of this complex condition and how it affects the brain, which then affects behaviours. It gives us a fascinating insight into the mysteries of the brain. They tell us about treatments available and help us deepen our understanding of the medical condition.
This film can be used to help make the case for ensuring biomedical research continues into the causes and treatment of dementia.
Messages for practice
- It is crucial to understand what lies behind the condition in order to help make sense of it and to know how to manage it.
- There are many different forms of dementia.
- Treatments are available that may slow the progress of the disease in some people.
- Dementia is a disease that occurs mainly in old age. However, it is not caused by old age and is not a natural part of the ageing process.
- Correct and early diagnosis is important.
Who will find this useful?
People with dementia, all care staff (both in care homes and home care providers), family carers, social workers, volunteers, members of the public, GPs and other medical staff (e.g. nurses, physiotherapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists).