Understanding Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) for mental health staff
What is the video about?
This accessible five minute film focusses on mental health staff’s legal responsibilities to refer people for Independent mental health advocacy, how they can support advocates and the benefits for staff.
Key messages for practice
- Mental health staff have a duty to ensure everyone eligible can access IMHA services
- Staff should give information to qualifying patients about their right to an IMHA, and refer them to the local IMHA service
- Staff on wards should provide somewhere private for the advocate and service user to meet
- Staff should foster good working relationships with IMHAs to ensure users’ views are heard
- Advocacy can make a positive difference to the relationship between users and professionals
Who will find this useful?
Mental health staff and managers, Independent mental health advocacy providers, Independent mental health advocates and people who use services.