Chair’s update – December 2016

Dear Forum member

New online space for discussion and sharing information

I’m very pleased to let you know that today we are launching a new online space for members of the National Mental Capacity Forum. Once you’ve followed the very simple registration process, you will be able to access dedicated information for members – including the growing collection of excellent blogs and information about future events – and also to hold online discussions with other members. Maybe you have an idea you really want to share, or a question to put to other members, and I hope this will become a lively and constructive space for sharing everyone’s enthusiasm and expertise. Thank you to colleagues at the Social Care Institute for Excellence for hosting this.

Please do sign up at http://nmcforum.ning.com

Short film on MCA principles

We are also launching this week a new short film which sets out the principles of the Mental Capacity Act in a simple way that works for all sectors. Please feel free to use this video and to encourage others to share it too. If you think there are other videos like this that would help you in your work, please feel free to share your thoughts on the new online forum.

View the video

Mental capacity action day

The 27th February will be our second mental capacity action day. Our theme this year will be ‘Supporting decision making’. We have an exciting agenda and speakers committed to changing attitudes and to widening knowledge about mental capacity.

Thank you to all members who have nominated colleagues to attend this event - if you wish to nominate a colleague who did not attend this year’s event please email nmcf1@justice.gsi.gov.uk. The day is expected to be heavily over-subscribed. We have space for a maximum of 150 people and will need to ration places to ensure a good geographical spread and range of professionals.

Finally, I’d like to take this chance to thank you for all of your hard work this year in putting the MCA into practice. I’ll shortly be publishing my first annual report as Chair of the Forum – I know there is so much work going on across the country and while my report cannot capture all of it I do want you to know that your work is invaluable. I hope you all have some time to relax over the next few weeks and very best wishes for 2017.

Baroness Finlay