SCIE press release
CQC Care Update - SCIE response
12 March 2013
Yes - let's share the knowledge of what works to improve care.
SCIE's response to the Care Update published by the Care Quality Commission today.
There is much to applaud in today's Care Update from the Care Quality Commission as the majority of services are considered to be delivering good quality care. There is also significant room for improvement. But it is not enough for us to say 'this needs to improve'; we need to know how, which is why I welcome David Behan's commitment to using and sharing the evidence of what works well, to drive the changes needed.
This evidence does exist and there are also some fantastic examples of good practice to learn from. Take Lime Court Care Home featured in SCIE's Social Care TV film "Avoiding unnecessary hospital admissions among older people". Focusing on infection control, mental health support, reducing falls, better medication management and nutrition, has enabled Lime Court to reduce hospital admissions whilst improving outcomes for their residents, many of whom live with dementia.
Over the years SCIE has established a wealth of material to help providers improve their services, like our Dementia Gateway, which can be used to train and develop staff caring for people living with dementia. Let's use these evidence-based resources to improve care.
SCIE's Chief Executive Andrea Sutcliffe
- Second Care Update - details from CQC
- Social care TV: Avoiding unnecessary hospital admissions among older people: Residential care homes
- Useful training resource - The Dementia Gateway
- Interactive and accessible Safeguarding resource from SCIE
- eLearning: An introduction to the mental health of older people
- Think child, think parent, think family: a guide to parental mental health and child welfare
- Challenging behaviour and learning disabilities videos on Social Care TV
- Information for the public - Find Me Good Care
Steve Palmer | Press and Public Affairs Manager | Tel: 020 7766 7419 | Mob: 07739 458 192 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org