Empowering tenants to protect themselves
Guidance for frontline housing staff and contractors
How can you help?
- Raise awareness about abuse so that people understand the risks and how to protect themselves.
- If people don’t recognise that they are being abused, try to get further support for them from social care colleagues.
- Ensure people have all the information they need to make their own decisions about their safety.
- Ensure people have access to advice and advocacy to support decision-making.
- Involve neighbours, family and friends (where appropriate) to help safeguard individuals by ‘keeping an eye’ on them and reporting concerns.
Social Care TV: Safeguarding adults: Action against burglary (SCIE). This film on distraction burglary for care workers may also be useful for housing staff
SCIE resources on Mediation or family group conferencing for adult safeguarding