Recognising the safeguarding role of housing staff: Examples from practice
Guidance for local authority social care staff
- A number of local authorities, including North Yorkshire, Lancashire, Bradford and Gateshead, involve housing providers in their multi-agency safeguarding training.
- The London Borough of Lewisham has a Housing Safeguarding Agreement that sets out the expectations between safeguarding partners.
- Circle Housing gave a presentation at a local safeguarding children’s board event to help social care staff build up awareness about the registered provider’s role in safeguarding, following recommendations from a serious case review. The presentation and discussion focused on what policies and training are in place and how to develop collaborative working. The feedback from the event showed that there is a need for more general awareness about the role of housing in safeguarding, and how social care staff can contribute at different stages of the safeguarding process.
- Alliance Homes has a dedicated ‘champion’ on a policy subgroup to the safeguarding adults board. They monitor referrals and provide an annual report to supporting people commissioners.
- Kirklees Council, among others, has a housing forum that has safeguarding as a standing item on the agenda and representation to the safeguarding adults board.
- Sutton Housing Partnership represents housing on the London Borough of Sutton safeguarding adults board.
- Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council has a housing safeguarding network that includes housing associations that operate in the area. Each association was asked to identify one key contact who would distribute information within their organisation. An email distribution list of contacts was established so that key messages, information and training opportunities could be communicated across organisations. Most of the work will be done by email. The network covers eight of the largest housing associations in the borough. There are 40 nominated officers from the various organisations who attended training on preventing illegal money lending/loan sharks in February 2014.
- Thurrock Council has a housing safeguarding subgroup to the safeguarding adults board.