NQSW resource - Outcome statement 11: Community capacity building
Community capacity building: Achieving this outcome
Here are some ways of demonstrating that you have achieved this outcome:
- Show you understand the specific needs and barriers that may prevent people from achieving positive outcomes.
- Consider how to ensure disadvantaged and marginalised groups and communities have access to learning and skills development opportunities.
- Show how you have been responsible for commissioning a group or service to build community capacity, as a result of particular information and evidence you have uncovered in your work.
- Because a programme of capacity building must be person-centred and have a focus on improved outcomes, show that you have involved the people, carers, families, networks, voluntary and community sector and the wider community in building capacity.
- Demonstrate that any change you identify is based on evidence and that you have heard and recorded the views, wishes and aspirations of those with whom you are working.
- Facilitate people’s input and maximise participation, acknowledging resistance, and working to dispel anxiety and fear of change using solution-focused approaches.
- Consider your role in terms of prevention and early intervention, and any service development which may facilitate better outcomes.
- Show that people are able to contribute through advocates, interpreters, and a range of different communication methods.
- Developing and sustaining professional relationships with a range of stakeholders is an essential part of your evidence. This should include community groups and networks from diverse and disadvantaged communities.
- Show that you are aware of and have used and complied with relevant national and local guidance on community capacity building.
- Show you have applied the Skills for Care's Common core principles to support self-care.
- If you are not sure about your decisions, role or judgement, you should record where you have raised the issue and with whom, for example, your supervisor, colleagues or other organisations.
Check how far you have met this outcome
- Used appropriate guidance, legislation and policy to inform your actions and decisions?
- Maximised the involvement of the person and their family, friends and carers, and used independent advocates where appropriate?
- Identified and accessed mainstream and specialised resources in the community?
- Valued the contribution of community-based organisations and worked with them appropriately?
- Worked with other professionals, community groups, and disadvantaged groups to identify areas for capacity building and consider how developments will be implemented?
- Critically analysed all the information available and used it to produce an evidence-based view of community capacity building, which improves outcomes for individuals?
Use the Portfolio (Word file) document to record your reflection on this outcome statement.