NQSW resource - Outcome statement 3: Referral
Referral: Achieving this outcome
Here are some ways of demonstrating that you have achieved this outcome:
- Apply relevant central and local guidance to your day-to-day work, such as your multi-agency policy on sharing information.
- Familiarise yourself with the Skills for Care's Common core principles to support self-care. These apply throughout your work.
- Prepare for the first contact with people – review any information you have which may help you identify specific information to take, such as Paying for care and support at home, a fact sheet for older people.
- Preparation will also give you an indication of what information is missing and can help you to focus on filling some of those gaps early on.
- You need to show how you have liaised with a range of professionals, carers and family members, as well as the individual, to verify and check information.
- Be familiar with the resources that are available in your local area. Not everyone will be eligible for your service, but you can direct them to other forms of support.
- SCIE's e-learning resource on Communication skills: providing information and explaining uses case studies to explore your role as a social worker receiving referrals.
- You need to show that you have considered the protection of vulnerable adults, and been able to balance any risk with meeting individual’s needs and wishes. This should take account of particular communication needs and embrace an understanding of cultural and ethnic heritage and life experiences.
Check how far you have met this outcome
- Used appropriate national and local guidance, legislation and policy to inform your actions and decisions?
- Verified external information?
- Worked effectively to ensure the well-being and safety of vulnerable people?
- Heard and recorded the views of everyone involved, including any differences of opinion, and the process you have undertaken to reach difficult decisions?
- Sought independent advocates, where appropriate, and worked with them to meet people’s needs?
- Collected and analysed the information to make an informed judgement?
- Prioritised your work in order to meet the timeframes of your organisation?
- Prepared for first contact?
Use the Portfolio (Word file) document to record your reflection on this outcome statement.