Social work education participation: hopes for the future
What is the video about?
Academics, policy makers, service users and carers describe their hopes for the future development of user and carer participation in social work education in this film. This includes developing further ways for users and carers to participate in the degree and ensuring there is consistency in participation across all higher education institutions.
Messages for practice
- There is increasing evidence that user and carer participation in social work education results in better services, better outcomes and better experiences of social care.
- There are other ways for users and carers to participate in social work education, such as becoming members of staff at universities, mentoring students and writing.
- There need to be stronger partnerships with universities and greater empowerment of users and carers and their organisations.
- There is a need for a strategic organisation to ensure there is good participation across all social work courses.
- Other professions including medicine and nursing should al learn from this approach.
Who will find this useful?
Social worker educators, students on social work courses, people working more broadly in co-production/participation and service users and carers.