This Introduction to... briefing gives a brief overview of Children’s Social Care (CSC) and the relevant legislation and policy framework. It is aimed at people who have little or no experience in this area.
Find SCIE resources and services
You can find our resources and services by:
- A-Z subject topic: Select a letter (above) to see a list of social and health care subject topics. Choose your topic to produce a list of SCIE resources on that subject.
- geographical location: Select the geographical area covered (left). For example, if you are looking for resources that specifically refer to policy in Northern Ireland, select Norther Ireland.
- resource type: Select a resource type (left). For example, if you are looking for a detailed guide - select guide
- search box: Use the search box at the top of the web page. Enter any term for a freetext search. This will show you all the pages where this term appears - including information from our press releases and articles, not just from our resources.
- SCIE resources list: See a list of our current featured resources below.
Featured resources Open
Results 1 - 10 of 20
Improving mental health support for our children and young people: Expert Working Group final report
The final report of an Expert Working Group was set up to ensure that the emotional wellbeing and mental health needs of children and young people in care are better met.
Models of care and care pathways to support mental health and wellbeing of looked after children: Findings of call for evidence
This document presents the findings of a call for evidence to develop models of care and care pathways to support the mental health and wellbeing of looked after children.
The care leavers in this video talk about how they came into care and their journey through the care system. It will interest social workers, care workers, teachers and other professionals and carers.
The care leavers in this video talk about their experiences of being in care. It will interest social workers, care workers, teachers and other professionals and carers.
This video explains how SCIE’s care stories films were made. Contributions from the care leavers, academics and interviewers. It will interest social workers, care workers, teachers and other professionals and carers.
This is a study of local authority decision-making in respect to long-term decision making and early intervention services. The study seeks to gain a better understanding of the factors that facilitate and hinder delivery of improved outcomes for children and families over the longer-term. This report synthesises the data gathered from: a literature review; 30 telephone interviews with senior officers and members in local authorities in England; and feedback from 49 subject matter experts attending five regional events.
The briefing aims to give people who provide and use social care services an overview of research evidence about returning children from public care to live with a parent.
This film for young people in care and those who work with them tells the story of Colin, a care experienced young person. Colin had problems with violence and maintaining positive contact with his family. Colin built his confidence and trust in those around him after forming a strong relationship with key workers.
This video for social care managers and staff shows how principles of the SCIE/NICE guidance on promoting the health and wellbeing of looked after children are working in practice. It shows two schemes for care leavers which are helping them move to independence.
Results 1 - 10 of 20