Evaluate the impact and implementation of care and health practice and policy
SCIE’s evaluation services help care and health commissioners, providers and policy makers to demonstrate how they are implementing policy and the impact it has on practice and outcomes.
Increased local accountability, growing numbers of self-funders, reduced budgets and high levels of public scrutiny mean resource allocation has never been more challenging. Robust evaluation can help care providers and commissioners to test the impact and cost-effectiveness of their activities and support decision making.
We very much welcome the honesty, clarity and accuracy of this evaluation of our Care Act implementation work. I would encourage other authorities to consider this type of approach to getting an informed external view of their service areas and believe SCIE provided this in an objective and professional way.Alan Lotinga, Service Director, Health and Wellbeing, Birmingham City Council
You can commission SCIE to provide:
- large-scale evaluations of local and national initiatives
- experimental, longitudinal (change over time) evaluations including trial approaches, such as quasi-experimental and randomised control trials
- formative and summative evaluation incorporating a realist approach to our work, we work in partnership with clients to ensure findings are used to inform and drive service development and improvement
- cooperative action research to develop our clients’ sustainable capacity to conduct their own evaluation
- multi-method evaluations incorporating qualitative and quantitative approaches, such as interviews, focus groups, literature reviews, document reviews, observation and survey work
- commissioning and managing independent evaluation contractors for clients. As well as directly conducting evaluations for our clients, we also provide a commissioning and evaluation management service to clients, which includes developing invitations to tenders (ITTs), assessing ITT responses, selecting contractors and drawing up and managing the resulting evaluation contracts.
- evaluation advice, scoping and design. We can support you to develop your own inhouse evaluation services.
- translation of evaluation findings into practical implementation tools and resources (see our Digital services offer)
- dissemination of evaluation findings across the care and health sectors (see our Communications services)
We provide evaluation services to a wide range of clients including local authorities, care providers, national agencies, government departments, foundation trusts, research agencies and universities. Some of our evaluation clients are outlined below.
Coaching to Innovation Programme projects
The Department for Education has commissioned SCIE, Mutual Ventures and Innovation Unit to provide experienced, expert, flexible support and challenge to 45 Innovation Programme-funded projects that support vulnerable children and young people.
Evaluation of development of nursing assistant roles
Care home provider, HC-One, commissioned SCIE to conduct an independent evaluation of its development programme for its senior carers to become nursing assistants.
Evaluation of Integrated Personal Commissioning (IPC)
The Department of Health and Social Care commissioned a consortium including SCIE to evaluate the Integrated Personal Commissioning (IPC) programme – an approach to integrate health and social care services.
Evaluation of PASSsystem
SCIE was commissioned to conduct an independent evaluation of the PASSsystem . This system is designed to provide a single view of care records from enquiry, assessment, medication and task changes to reviews - meaning less is spent on administration, printing, mileage and insurance.
Evaluation of the Local Authority Partnerships Programme
Leading national cancer charity Macmillan Cancer Support commissioned SQW and SCIE to evaluate its Local Authority Partnerships (LAP) Programme. The Programme provides a vision for delivering integrated care and support.
Child sexual exploitation – evaluation support
The NWG Network provides specialist support, training and resources to professionals whose work involves tackling child sexual exploitation. The organisation commissioned SCIE to evaluate its performance and impact.
This is a crucial time for the NWG Network as we build our reach and impact. We are delighted to have SCIE helping us analyse our performance and assess our impact in the future.Sheila Taylor MBE, Chief Executive, NWG Network.
Evaluation of Sutton Homes of Care enhanced health in care homes vanguard, 2016-17
SCIE is working with SQW to evaluate the Sutton Homes of Care Vanguard. The Sutton vanguard has developed a care home provider network to support training across local care homes, and a new model of health and social care, which includes expanded in-reach services such as end of life care nurses, aiming to provide the right care at the right time where residents need it.