Case reviews and audits in Scotland
Expert support on conducting significant case reviews, learning reviews and audits to improve child and adult protection practice.
SCIE helps organisations who make up the multi-agency child and/or adult protection worlds to review and learn from incidents in a way that supports deep-rooted learning and improvement.
We provide support with significant case reviews and more routine audits and learning reviews across children’s and adults’ services.
SCIE’s reviewing experts:
- broker access to accredited lead reviewers in Scotland and the rest of the UK
- develop local capacity to review child/adult protection cases and practice through training and mentoring
- train leaders and managers on using a systems approach for effective learning and improvement.
- Advise commissioners when scoping a review as to what kind of process would be most proportionate to their needs.
The (Learning Together) model is very inclusive and collaborative with people at all levels having opportunities all the way through to critically reflect on systems and how these could be better/different through a learning process.Child protection committee chair
Organisations that SCIE supports
We work with organisations in the UK and overseas that have a legal responsibility to protect and safeguard children and adults at risk of abuse or neglect including:
- safeguarding boards for adults and children
- Scottish child and adult protection committees
- local authority commissioners
- health commissioners, including clinical commissioning groups
- the police, youth justice and other criminal justice agencies
- care and support providers, including statutory, voluntary and private sector organisations
- health providers, including NHS Trusts and GP services
- housing providers, including housing associations
SCIE can help your organisation and partners to learn together and improve safeguarding practice.
SCIE’s Learning Together model
SCIE’s Learning Together model is one of the most developed and tested systems-approach models available. This collaborative methodology aims to gain a deeper understanding of current local practice and cultivate an open, learning culture. Each review is bespoke, designed to fit your needs, the case(s) and circumstances.
Our in-house experts and associates conduct audits and case reviews on a consultancy basis, supported by methodological supervision from SCIE.
More on Learning Together
Become an accredited reviewer
SCIE runs a support programme for lead reviewers accredited in the Learning Together systems model. We welcome both salaried professionals as well as independent consultants.
There are two routes to accreditation:
- An individual mentoring scheme – The favoured option for developing local capacity. An accredited Learning Together mentor is matched with a trainees to support them complete their first Learning Together case review to ensure they are using the systems approach to best effect. This follows participation in a Learning Together foundation course and is a requirement for application to the accreditation process
- A cohort scheme – The favoured option for independent consultants. Trainees are supported to complete their first Learning Together case review through group supervision sessions. This scheme begins with a bespoke Foundation Course for group members.
Accredited lead reviewers who work within local agencies benefit from:
- ongoing supervision of all Learning Together reviews
- a ‘community of practice’ for accredited Learning Together reviewers: Learning Together Scotland is a network comprising accredited reviewers, would-be reviewers and commissioners
Safeguarding reviews and audits - clients
Over 100 organisations have commissioned SCIE and our associates to carry out safeguarding reviews and training. We have an international reputation.
- 59 Local Safeguarding Children’s Boards in England
- 15 Child Protection Committees (Scotland)
- 1 Adult Protection Committee (Scotland)
- 12 Safeguarding Adult Boards
- Northern Ireland Safeguarding Board
- NHS England
- Church of England
- Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC)
- Ministry of Defence
List of SCIE clients:
- Aberdeen City Child Protection Committee
- Aberdeenshire Child and Family Protection Committee
- Angus Child Protection Committee
- Argyll and Bute Child Protection Committee
- Dumfries and Galloway Adult Protection Committee
- Dumfries and Galloway Child Protection Committee
- Dundee Child Protection Committee
- East Ayrshire Child Protection Committee
- East Renfrewshire Child Protection Committee
- Fife Child Protection Committee
- Glasgow Adult Protection Committee
- Glasgow Child Protection Committee
- Highland Child Protection Committee
- Inverclyde Child Protection Committee
- Moray Child Protection Committee
- NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- North Ayrshire Child Protection Committee
- North Lanarkshire Child Protection Committee
- West Dunbartonshire Child Protection Committee
- West Lothian Child Protection Committee