Advance decisions to refuse treatment
Useful guidance and practical tools to support people make advance decisions to refuse treatment.
- Flowchart - Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR)
- Form proposal - Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (DNACPR)
Barnet, Enfield and Haringey CCG
- Advance statement for mental health - Patient information leaflet / form (A4 version)
- Advance statement for mental health - Patient information leaflet / form (A5 version)
- Preferred priorities for care - Patient information leaflet
- Advance decision to refuse treatment – also known as a ‘Living Will’ – Patient information leaflet
- Advance decision to refuse treatment – also known as a ‘Living Will’ – Frequently Asked Questions
Bournemouth University (with National Mental Capacity Forum)
British Medical Association
British Medical Journal
Compassion in Dying
- Make it YOUR decision
Encourages you to think about the unthinkable and plan ahead now, while you're well and able to - Make it your decision
- MyDecisions: A free tool to support people to draft an Advance Decision or Advance Statement online
- Planning ahead: making choices for the end of life
- Planning ahead for the LGBT community
Most people have some form of opinion about how they would like to be treated at the end of their lives, regardless of their identity or background. For LGBT people in particular, your identity might have an impact on the treatment and care you would like to receive.
This guide is here to help you record your wishes to ensure they’re respected if you can’t make a decision for yourself or tell people what you want.
- Advance Decision Pack
- Advance Decisions (Living Wills) – An Introduction
- Advance Decisions and Lasting Powers of Attorney for Health and Welfare
- Advance Decisions toolkit for health professionals
- Starting the conversation
This booklet aims to support you to talk about your wishes for care and treatment with your family, friends and doctor.
- Planning Ahead: My treatment and care
This practical guide includes the information you need to understand how treatment and care decisions are made, how you can plan ahead to ensure you stay in control of these decisions, and who to talk to and share your wishes with.
East Midlands Academic Health Science Network (EMAHSN)
- Advance planning for people with Bipolar Disorder
A guide to making decisions about your personal welfare, property and financial services
KCL Medical Ethics and Law
National Council for Palliative Care
National Mental Capacity Forum
- Next of Kin: Understanding decision making authorities with Bournemouth University
NHS End of Life
- Advance Care Planning: A Guide for Health and Social Care Staff
- Capacity, care planning and advance care planning in life limiting illness
Northern England Strategic Clinical Networks Deciding right
Public Policy Institute for Wales