Key government documents on the Mental Capacity Act (MCA) 2005
The MCA and DoLS Codes of Practice, and tools and publications from official bodies and the English and Welsh governments.
Codes of Practice
MCA Implementation Group
The MCA Implementation Group (MCA IG) is the highest-level national governance group responsible for implementation of the MCA. It comprises national level statutory organisations. The MCA IG’s terms of reference and membership can be found here. Also available are minutes of the MCA IG’s quarterly meetings. We hope these minutes will be allow regional and local MCA groups to get a clearer picture as to national activities. The minute of 3 December 2016 contains an explanation of what each national organisation has planned for 2016.
- MCA Implementation Group Terms of Reference
- MCA Implementation Group List of Members
- MCA Implementation Group minutes 3 December 2015
Department of Health
- MCA Rights Card
The Government has produced a short, pocket-sized “Z card” containing key information about the MCA.
You are welcome to reproduce these cards yourself using the MCA Rights Card (design version), providing no alterations are made to the text. Any professional printing company should be able to process these. One such company, Hobs Reprographics, have agreed to collect orders for these cards and then process them at bulk to reduce unit costs. You can contact Hobs at email@example.com. Payment will need to be made in advance unless you set up an account and you may need to wait a short time until sufficient orders are received. Please note: there is no contractual relationship between SCIE/ DH or Hobs and SCIE/ DH will have no involvement in any agreement you reach with them.
- Department of Health MCA information
- Code of practice: Mental Health Act 1983
- Learning resources: Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA) in social work
- Mental Capacity Act 2005: Deprivation of liberty safeguards - Code of Practice to supplement the main Mental Capacity Act 2005 Code of Practice (2008)
- Mental Capacity Act and the Vital Role of Social Workers: Outcomes of the Chief Social Worker’s Seminar
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 - Valuing every voice, respecting every right: One Year On
- Local Authority DoLS Funding – Additional 2015/16 Grant – Analysis of DoLS spend.
The DH has produced this short analysis of how local authorities have spent/ expect to spend the additional £25m provided by DH for DoLS in 2015/16.
- DH letter providing consolidated guidance post the Cheshire West Supreme Court judgment.
Directors of adult social services (Adass)
- Valuing every voice, respecting every right: Making the case for the Mental Capacity Act The Government’s response to the House of Lords Select Committee Report on the Mental Capacity Act 2005
House of Lords
Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
NHS Wales Microsite
Office of the Public Guardian
Older People’s Commissioner for Wales