Improving the Church of England’s responses to survivors of abuse and people at risk of harm
Take part in an independent, confidential survey
The Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) has been commissioned by the Church of England (C of E or ‘the Church’) to help improve how the Church treats people who have been abused or are at risk of harm. We are seeking the views of people with first-hand experience to find out what a good response from the Church should look like. The results of this survey will complement learning from an independent audit by SCIE of safeguarding arrangements in all 42 dioceses across England.
The Church has an obvious responsibility for anyone who has been abused by people who work for the Church, whether clergy, lay officers or volunteers. The Church also has a wider commitment to keep everyone involved in Church activities safe, including people who have been abused outside Church settings and turn to the clergy for pastoral support, and those who feel unsafe for any other reason.
The aim of this survey is to learn from survivors and victims of abuse and neglect, as well as from people who may be particularly vulnerable to harm. We want to help the Church of England to treat people who have been abused, or who need help to keep safe, in a way that works best for those individuals.
Please complete the survey on PC or laptop – it is not possible on mobile devices.
If you wish to complete the survey in Word, click and save it onto your local device before starting to complete it.
- Download the survey (MS Word): Improving the Church of England’s responses to survivors of abuse and people at risk of harm
If you wish to complete the survey in PDF:
- Right click on the PDF link below
- ‘Save link as’ into your folder
- Close the web browser before answering any of the questions.
- Open your PDF reader programme e.g. Adobe Acrobat.
- From the PDF reader, open the PDF file saved on your device.
- Re-save the whole document using File, ‘Save as’, when you want to pause or have completed the survey
- Download the survey (PDF): Improving the Church of England’s responses to survivors of abuse and people at risk of harm
These steps are essential to make sure you safely save your answers.
Using these Word and PDF formats allow you to give as in-depth and detailed responses as you wish to.
Please email your completed form back to SCIE Learning Together, clearly stating in the subject line: C of E survey.
Findings from submissions received by 30 June 2018 will be published later in the summer.