Tips on using the action planning tool
You can use this tool to:
- Explore what personalisation means in a care home setting
- Think about how to improve things for people living and working in your home
To get the best out of this tool:
- It helps to get different people involved in answering the questions.
- You can do this in groups or separately. If you do it separately, make sure to compare how you answered the questions afterwards and see where the differences are.
- If you’re stuck for time or you just want to test it out you can just pick the areas that feel most relevant to you and only use those sections.
- Whatever you do will be saved so you can always come back to other sections at a later time.
- If people's answers differ a lot then you may want to think together about why that is happening. Just exploring this on its own can help people to feel more included and build a stronger positive culture in your home
- It's important to be honest in your assessment but it doesn’t matter so much where you are now. The important thing is what you do next. This tool will help you bring people together to focus on how to improve things
- When you have had a discussion together about where you are now think about how you know that and make sure the evidence backs up your assessment.
- Once you’ve explored this in depth the next step is to Identify what you could do to improve things.
- Think about what's practical and possible and focus on things which you can do quickly first. Identify tasks which you can do quickly (ideally in the next 48 hours) to make a first step towards change.
- This will help build confidence and momentum. Work out simple ways you can use to measure progress and share the progress you are making.
- Share responsibilities for making change happen. Creating a small group to take forward the changes and drive it forward will increase your chances of success.
Make the most of this tool by:
- Using it on a regular basis – every 3 or 6 months so that you can review changes that have happened, identify progress and plan what to do next
Access your care home action plan.