Adult safeguarding for housing staff: Introduction

This section of the guide is for local authority social care staff, to promote joint working with housing to improve safeguarding practice. It aims to improve communication and joint working between housing and contracted staff and their safeguarding partners, particularly local authority social services staff with safeguarding responsibilities.

The guide offers case studies and examples of what others are doing in practice. It does not provide information specific to services for homeless people or local authority responsibilities for ensuring the safety of tenants in the private rented sector, but people working in those sectors may find some of the content useful. The content is based on SCIE’s knowledge base on safeguarding, including key research and policy.

Housing providers (also known as registered providers, RPs, or registered social landlords, RSLs) are registered with the Homes and Communities Agency. They include local authority landlords and arm’s-length management organisations, housing associations and voluntary sector providers such as alms houses. All providers are required to ‘set out their policy on taking into account the needs of those households who are vulnerable by reason of age, disability or illness’. [5] Private landlords may provide accommodation for some people with care and support needs. The local authority has inspection powers under the Housing Act 2004 regarding the standard and safety of privately rented accommodation. Guidance refers to consideration of vulnerable age groups, meaning older people and children. [6]