Helping you through a hospital stay: Information booklet for older people
About this booklet
Helping you through a hospital stay helps older people to understand and manage the feelings, anxieties and concerns they may have when they are entering or leaving hospital. It suggests how they can be involved in their treatment and care, and in planning for return home.
The booklet has been written and developed with the input of an advisory group of older people who have firsthand experience of going into hospital.
It covers all aspects of the hospital stay including how to prepare for the hospital visit, essential things to pack, what to expect from doctors, nurses, social workers and other professionals, and includes an extensive list of useful contacts for both pre and post hospital care. It will also be an invaluable aid for carers, relatives and friends.
Access the artwork
SCIE has researched, written and designed the booklet in partnership with older people and lead agencies such as Age Concern and the Alzheimer’s Society. We are, however, aware that many organisations will want to add their local contacts prior to distributing it to local communities.
We have therefore made the artwork for this booklet available free of charge. Organisations can add their own local contact details, branding or information to the booklet, and arrange to have it professionally printed and distributed to local contacts.
Download the artwork
Once you have downloaded the PDF file, you will need to:
- Send the PDF file to your professional printer, along with the further contact information you wish to add to the final page of the booklet.
- Ask the printer to input your specified contact information prior to print.
- It is recommended that your printer produces the booklet on uncoated, 120gsm paper. This will improve accessibility.
- Print the number of copies needed for your contacts.
We do not recommend that you print the booklet on your own office printer as this will not give you the quality that you need. You should contact a professional printing service.
If you have any problems accessing or downloading the PDF files or need advice or help locating a suitable printer, please contact us.
All SCIE resources are free to download, however to access some of the following downloads you will need a free MySCIE account:
- Helping you through a hospital stay: Information booklet for older people
- Easy read summary of helping you through a hospital stay
- Artwork: Hospital stay booklet black and white (6,169kb PDF file)
- Artwork: Hospital stay booklet two colour (28,452kb PDF file)
- Artwork: Hospital stay booklet full colour (15,395kb PDF file)