NQSW resource - Outcome statement 4: Assessment
Assessment: Achieving this outcome
Here are some ways of demonstrating that you have achieved this outcome:
- Show that you are aware of and have complied with the relevant national and local guidance on making assessments.
- Familiarise yourself with the Skills for Care's Common core principles to support self-care. These apply throughout your work.
- Show that you have involved the person and heard and recorded their wishes and aspirations.
- Show how you have involved family, friends, carers, advocates and any networks of support in the community.
- SCIE's Working together to assess needs, strengths and risks is an e-learning resource which explores the process of planning and undertaking an assessment of need.
- Show how you have balanced any concerns about risk and safeguarding. Make sure you have recorded the issues and the action you have taken as a result.
- It is likely you will be undertaking this assessment with other professionals. Show how you are aware of your particular role, and how you have used and shared information from elsewhere to inform your judgement.
If you are not sure about your decisions, role or judgement, you should record where you have raised the issue and with whom, for example, your supervisor, colleagues or other organisations.
Check how far you have met this outcome
- Used appropriate national and local guidance, legislation and policy to inform your actions and decisions?
- Maximised the involvement of the person, their family, friends and carers, and used independent advocates where appropriate?
- Worked with other professionals, as part of the assessment process, to improve your knowledge and understanding of the person, inform your judgement and manage any areas of conflict?
- Managed differences of opinion and the process you have undertaken to reach difficult decisions?
- Identified and taken action to safeguard the well-being of people, while having due regard for their rights to take risks?
- Critically analysed all the information available and used it to produce a costed assessment which balances the needs and wishes of individuals?
- Completed assessments within the timeframe set by your organisation?
Use the Portfolio (Word file) document to record your reflection on this outcome statement.