NQSW resource - Outcome statement 2: Communication
Communication: Achieving this outcome
Here are some ways of demonstrating you have achieved this outcome:
- Show how you have dealt with conflict and the process you have used to reach difficult decisions. Show how you have communicated this to individuals and their families, using appropriate methods to ensure they understand.
- Demonstrate how you have sought advice and support from your supervisor or colleagues when dealing with ethical dilemmas.
- Be clear about your role as a social worker, the skills you offer and how you can complement the roles and responsibilities of others to ensure better outcomes.
- Provide accessible information and be clear about the steps you have taken to ensure people have what they need to make informed choices.
- Ensure methods of communication consider people’s culture, heritage and ethnicity. SCIE's e-learning resources, Communication across cultural and social differences, include case studies to provide examples of the kinds of challenges and dilemmas social workers experience as they communicate across social and cultural divides.
- Show that you are aware of and have used and complied with relevant national and local guidance in planning for support.
- Show you have applied the Skills for Care's Common core principles to support self-care.
Check how far you have met this outcome
How have you shown in your casework that you have:
- Assessed and responded to the communication needs of individuals?
- Identified and used different methods of communication to engage with a range of individuals, family members, carers and colleagues from other organisations?
- Sought independent advocates, where appropriate, and worked with them to meet people’s needs?
- Communicated effectively with people where there may be a conflict of interest or concerns about risk and safeguarding?
- Accurately recorded people’s views, conflicts and plans for resolution, in a way that is understandable to everyone involved?
Use the Portfolio (Word file) document to record your reflection on this outcome statement.