NQSW resource - Outcome statement 1: Professional relationships
Professional relationships: Achieving this outcome
Here are some ways of demonstrating you have achieved this outcome:
- Show that you are aware of, and have used and complied with, relevant national and local guidance in planning for support.
- Show you have applied the Skills for Care's Common core principles to support self-care.
- Demonstrate your ability to make and sustain relationships with a range of people through successful outcomes and interventions. SCIE's e-learning resource on Experts by experience shows how service users and carers have experienced legal interventions by social workers, including both good and poor practice.
- Engaging with people who may have been excluded from services in the past requires the offer of tangible and accessible information to help them identify their needs and how they would like them to be met.
- Present people with a range of options and familiarise yourself with the resources that are available in your local area. This will show that you have listened to and understood the needs of a person and been responsive to them in your engagement, assessment and planning of care.
- Show how you have managed areas of conflict and dilemmas, and in particular how you have balanced risk with rights.
- Working as part of a team is often the only way to meet a person’s needs effectively. As such you should show how you have understood the roles and responsibilities of others from different sectors and organisations. Any decisions must be accurately recorded using your organisation’s systems.
Check how far you have met this outcome
- Used appropriate guidance, legislation and policy to inform your actions and decisions?
- Maximised opportunities for people’s voices and views to be heard?
- Used different skills and communication methods to engage with a range of people, including those who use services and those with whom you work to deliver support?
- Sustained those relationships over a period of time, even when there has been difference of opinion?
- Recorded differences of opinion and the process you have undertaken to reach difficult decisions?
- Sought independent advocates where appropriate, and worked with them to meet people’s needs?
- Accurately recorded people’s views, conflicts and plans for resolution, in a way that is understandable to everyone involved?
- Used supervision to reflect upon your practice and the impact it has had on outcomes?
Use the Portfolio (Word file) document to record your reflection on this outcome statement.