NQSW resource - Outcome statement 9: Service development
Service development: Achieving this outcome
Here are some ways of demonstrating that you have achieved this outcome:
- Show how you have facilitated people’s input and maximised participation.
- Show that any change you identify is based upon evidence, for example, the views, wishes and aspirations of those with whom you are working.
- Show that you have made sure that people know of their rights to complain or to get advocacy support, particularly through a period of change.
- Consider your role in terms of prevention and early intervention, and any service development which may facilitate better outcomes. This will need to be balanced with what needs to be in place to minimise risk while maximising choice and control.
- It is likely that other professionals will have been involved with the delivery of change. Show that you are aware of your particular role and responsibilities.
- Change is pivotal to service development. Show that people are able to contribute through advocates, interpreters, and a range of different communication methods.
- You also have a role in critically analysing the impact of changes on people, colleagues, and other organisations. Think about how you might collate the evidence.
- Show how you have applied the Skills for Care's Common core principles to support self-care.
- If you are not sure about your decisions, role or judgement, you should record where you have raised the issue and with whom, for example, your supervisor, colleagues or other organisations.
Check how far you have met this outcome
- Used appropriate guidance, legislation and policy to inform your actions and decisions?
- Maximised the involvement of the person, their family, friends and carers, and used independent advocates where appropriate?
- Worked with and/or trained with other professionals, as part of the service development and change process?
- Acknowledged and understood any concerns of the person with whom you are working, and managed any areas of conflict?
- Identified and taken action to safeguard the well-being of people, while having due regard for their rights to take risks?
- Critically analysed all the information available and used it to produce an evidence-based view of service development, which improves outcomes for individuals?
Use the Portfolio (Word file) document to record your reflection on this outcome statement.