Social Work Practice pilot sites
The Social Work Practice pilots for adult services are an important development, and are now a core component of the Caring for our Future White Paper. We have been asked by the Department of Health to project manage them. The programme puts social workers in key positions in delivering social care, and brings them, and the people who use services, closer to the heart of decision-making.
SCIE looks forward to adding to the evidence base about social work practice. We will do this by sharing the findings from the pilot sites with the social care sector.
We are also supporting ten social work practice pioneers: projects developing small-scale but important changes to how social work with adults can be delivered in a range of settings.
Another important aspect of the pilots programme is the use of social enterprises and mutuals to deliver social work, and we are working alongside academics and the Cabinet Office to explore this. The Social Work Practice pilots are led by social workers, and employ other professionals with a range of skills to ensure multi-disciplinary working for the benefit of people using services.
The pilots and pioneer sites intend to develop a range of social work responses:
- developing innovative responses to people’s needs
- increasing people’s independence and interdependence in communities
- more responsive care management with people
- work with people who do not currently come into contact with local authorities
The Social Work Practice pilot sites are located in Birmingham, Lambeth, North East Lincolnshire, Shropshire, Suffolk, Surrey and Stoke. The sites are centred around people who use services and are smaller than local authorities, which should allow them to be more responsive in their decision making. One advantage is that they may offer more face to face time with people who use services.
It’s important to point out that the SWP pilot sites can develop social work practice to augment and complement the skills of the local authority. They can also develop access to social work, information and advice for people not currently accessing local authority support.
All SCIE resources are free to download, however to access the following downloads you will need a free MySCIE account:
- Social Work Practice pilots and pioneers in social work for adults - Final report
- Social Work Practice pilots and pioneers in social work for adults - Final report (Summary)
- Social Work Practice Pioneers - Mid-point report
- Social Work Practice Pioneers - Mid-point report (Summary)
Watch four videos on how the project is supporting professionals.
- How technology helped our deaf service in Surrey.
- "....and on Saturday she took her baby home".
- SCIE's Social Work Practice Pilots - supporting students.
- Daybreak Project, Greenwich – Family group conferencing and restorative practices.