About The Prevention Library
SCIE has been commissioned by the Department of Health to develop this resource which is intended to support and inform commissioners of prevention services in local authorities and clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) in England.
Prevention services range across a broad spectrum but are all based on the need to:
- promote independence and wellbeing
- prevent or delay the deterioration of wellbeing resulting from age, disability or illness both physical and mental
- delay the need for more costly, intensive or crisis-focused services.
Under the requirements of the Care Act 2014 local authorities are required to:
- provide or arrange for services to prevent, delay or reduce care needs
- identify the prevention services, facilities and resources already available
- promote diversity and quality of services so customers have a choice of service.
What’s in the Prevention Library ?
- A short film on prevention in adult social care introducing the Prevention Library
- An initial batch of prevention service examples developed in conjunction with commissioners and providers.
- References to recent research and associated resources derived from SCIE’s Social Care Online database.
The service examples are examples of current practice only, some of which may have been evaluated externally; if these evaluations are published we have included links to them and also to relevant websites.