The SAB provides a forum for strategic discussion and agreement on:
- areas for improvement
- policy issues
- guidance for practitioners, commissioners and service providers
- approaches to self-neglect
- preventing abuse and neglect
- addressing antisocial behaviour, hate crime and domestic abuse
- the respective roles of the board, other boards and partners.
The SAB must publish a strategic plan outlining:
- how it will achieve its objectives
- what actions each member will take to implement the strategy.
Although the Care Act 2014 requires a SAB to produce a strategic plan for each financial year, in practice it is likely to be a rolling three- to five-year plan that is reviewed and revised annually.