Commissioning independent advocacy under the Care Act
Published: October 2014
Updated: October 2020
This resource is aimed at commissioners charged with meeting the duties to provide advocacy under the Care Act 2014. It will help commissioning officers in local authorities think through their duties and understand what they are required to do to comply with the requirements of the Act.
Key messages from the commissioning independent advocacy guide.
Advocacy duties under the Care Act 2014, other advocacy duties local authorities have, and how they might interact.
Advocacy promotes equality, social justice, social inclusion and human rights.
Overview of good practice in commissioning independent advocacy.
Helping local authorities to think through the commissioning tasks to support good quality advocacy.
Local authorities must pay due regard to the public sector equality duty when commissioning advocacy services.
Case studies to help you, as a commissioner, think about different models for the provision of advocacy in your area.
The easy read summary about commissioning independent advocacy.
Writers and advisors (2014)
- Usha Boolaky, Institute of Public Care
- Ben Cavanagh, Carers UK
- Angela Essinger, Lancashire County Council
- Carl Evans and Lucy Bonnerjea, Department of Health
- Simon Galczynski, London Borough of Islington
- Tim Gunning, Equality and Human Rights Commission
- Patrick Hall, Pete Fleishmann, Michael Turner, Andrea Allen, Steve Palmer and Elizabeth Scott, SCIE
- Karen Newbigging and Tony Bovaird, University of Birmingham
- Liam Paul, Local Government Association
- Tom Raines, National Development Team for Inclusion
- Lee Salmon, London Borough of Newham
- Anna Saunders, Essex County Council
- Jonathan Senker, Paul Morrish and Phillippa Ashcroft, VoiceAbility
- Howard Tomlin and Ian Winter, Association of Directors of Adult Social Services
- Patrick Wood, independent writer and consultant.
Co-production partners (2014)
- Laura Able
- Dan Barrett
- Camelia Borg
- Tina Coldham
- Karen Cruse
- Vic Forrest
- Larry Gardiner
- Ian Hubbard
- Matt Langsford
- Rachel Litherland
- Ann Macfarlane
- Kevin Minier
- Brian Stocker
- Jennifer Taylor