Improvement support for care providers
Prepare for CQC inspection and deliver improvements post-inspection, with expert consultancy and training for social care providers.
We can help you to assess your current performance, and to develop and deliver improvement plans to help your services to be safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led.
SCIE’s guides and resources have been providing valuable advice to care providers for years. I welcome the development of SCIE’s practical training and consultancy services to support improvement and embed good practice.Martin Green, Chief Executive, Care England
Support with CQC inspections and ratings
SCIE helps social care providers to prepare for a Care Quality Commission inspection, and to respond to a poor rating.
We work with care providers to develop and deliver their improvement plans – either before or after inspection. The improvement plan may be for an individual service, or it may have implications and benefits for the whole care group.
We tailor the support package to each care providers’ requirements. For example, we help with:
Policies and procedures: We review and update your policies and procedures in line with CQC and Care Act requirements. For example we can review safeguarding; decision making (MCA); DoLS; whistleblowing; complaints; behaviour and physical interventions; and codes of practice for staff and volunteers.
See more on policies and procedures review
Site visits and evaluation: We evaluate care services including carrying out interviews and workshops with staff and clients, and report on our findings.
See more on evaluation
Safeguarding reviews and audits: We review safeguarding policies and procedures, including the criteria for what constitutes an alert, processes for reporting issues, review of near misses, and what has been done as a result of safeguarding reports. We recommend or draft changes to policies, procedures and practice, and also help to establish lead roles for safeguarding, plus internal safeguarding adults boards where required.
See more on safeguarding reviews and audits
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards: We review DoLS authorisations within care plans.
- Care plans: We review care plans to check for a focus on personalisation, and check that plans are used, and regularly reviewed and updated.
- Recruitment processes: We review personnel files to check that there was sufficient evidence to appoint, plus we can review the recruitment process for volunteers.
Training: We run training courses on safeguarding, dementia, MCA, Care Act for staff, managers, volunteers and trustees.
See more on training.
- Recommendations: We present recommendations to senior managers, chairs and trustees as a written report with clear actions and review process
Some of our improvement consultancy clients are outlined below.
Care homes and arts
Funded by a grant from the Baring Foundation, SCIE has curated a digital resource to support care home staff to engage residents in a range of arts activities.View: Arts in care homes
Friends of the Elderly – National charity and care group
Care provider improvement support
SCIE completed two projects for Friends of the Elderly:
- Research into the potential for its care homes to be transformed into community hubs that build on local community resources and assets. Delivered with TLAP.
- Development and delivery of improvement support, with a focus on safeguarding and the Mental Capacity Act.
HC-One – care home provider
Evaluation of development of nursing assistant
HC-One commissioned SCIE to evaluate its Care Assistant Development Programme (CADP). Based on the findings of the evaluation, SCIE was able to make recommendations to ensure the future success of the programme.Read the report and recommendations