This awareness course provides an essential foundation in understanding Dual Sensory Impairment, especially acquired DSI which affects so many older people due to the ageing process.
Produced by Hearing Impairment – Visual Impairment Support UK (Hi-Vis UK), the national charity working to increase awareness and skills in DSI across the health and social care workforce in the public, independent and voluntary sectors.
This course is the gateway to further Care Act 2014 compliant statutory qualifications and courses provided by Hi-Vis UK.
- What is Dual Sensory Impairment (DSI)?
- Impact of Dual Sensory Impairment?
- Hearing loss side of DSI
- Vision loss side of DSI
- Recognising DSI – The indicators, including in the home environment, care setting and healthcare setting
- Finding practical support with DSI
- Communication methods and tactics
- Rights of Dual Sensory Impaired people in England, including information about the Care Act
- Understand what DSI is and how it differs uniquely from single sensory loss.
- Learn the importance of our hearing and sight by understanding what happens when these start to deteriorate.
- Understand hearing loss and the two main types associated with ageing (includes audio simulations).
- Understand sight loss and the five main eye conditions (includes video simulations).
- Learn how to spot the signs of dual sensory impairment: in the home, in a care setting, and in a healthcare setting.
- Learn what types of practical support are possible including equipment and places to go for help.
- Learn the DSI communication essential skills with our three-step guide.
- Understand how legislation affects you as a professional, a carer, and as an individual – know your duties and know where you stand.