Infection control e-learning course
Infection prevention and control are essential to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). This video-based course for care providers in care homes and home care will teach you about the spread of infection and what you can do to protect both yourself and the people you care for.
Understanding infection control will provide you with the tools to help prevent COVID-19 from spreading.
- What is coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Preventing the spread of infection
- Managing the environment
- About your general health
- Understand how infections spread and how to prevent it
- Learn about hand hygiene and guidance
- Manage the care environment
- Manage laundry safely
- Keep safe with personal protective equipment
- Understand waste disposal
Start studying for free now!
To study this course you must register or login
Cookies must be enabled for this site before you can login
Frequently asked questions
Who is this course for? Open
All non-regulated frontline staff working in health and social care including:
- activities workers
- assistant practitioners
- care assistants
- day care assistants
- domiciliary care workers
- healthcare support workers
- homecare workers
- maternity support workers
- nursing assistants
- personal assistants
- reablement assistants
- residential care workers
- senior homecare workers
- support workers
- and other health or care assistant-related roles
How can the course promote Care Act (2014) and Care Quality Commission (CQC) compliance? Open
The CQC require organisations to deliver care in a way that is safe, effective, caring and responsive. Organisations must also meet Care Act (2014) requirements and be well-led.
Caring for people in a way that is ‘person-centred’ (that meets the needs and wishes of people and their families) is at the heart of CQC and other legal requirements – because of this it is also the central focus of this course. Finding out what people need and want, being kind and treating people with dignity and respect, are all important aspects of the person-centred approach.
SCORM compliant (on your LMS) version Open
If you are interested in hosting this e-learning course on your Learning Management System (LMS) or Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) we are able to help.
We can provide:
- Course content: A SCORM 1.2 or 2004 compliant version of the course.
- Course updates: We will supply you with course updates for an agreed period of time.
- Custom changes: We can help by making custom changes to the course to meet your specific learning and development needs.
Contact us to find out more about bringing our course to your learners on your platform.
How long does it take to study the course?Open
This is always a difficult question to answer as no two people are the same. There are a number of factors to consider such as level of knowledge, reading speed and in which order the course is completed.
For that reason, our estimates are really quite broad. Analytics shows that learners take an average of 30 minutes to study the course.
Version history Open
v1.0 (May 2020): Original release of course.
Terms and conditionsOpen
- An internet connection is required, with the ability to stream video content from Vimeo and YouTube.
- All material in these resources, including text, graphics, photographs, video and audio is copyright of the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE), unless otherwise stated.
- Use of this course is freely permitted, but commercial use is not authorised unless permission is first obtained in writing.
Recommended devices / web browsersOpen
SCIE recommends using the latest versions of device operating software and browsers to access our e-learning courses.
The minimum technical requirements are (depending on your setup):
- Chrome: Latest version
- Firefox: Latest version
- Microsoft Edge: Latest version
- Safari: Latest version
- iOS: 10
- Android: Marshmallow (6.0)
This course has been tested on a selection of Apple and Android mobile and tablet devices, running the latest web browsers.
SCIE cannot take responsibility if the course does not work on your particular device or software.
Please note: Usage of Microsoft Internet Explorer, including IE 11, is not recommended.