Better Care Fund national workshops on housing and engagement with the voluntary sector
Thematic National Workshops: February 2019
The Better Care Support Team (BCST), supported by the SCIE ran two national workshops, looking at how two vital parts of the system supporting people with care and support needs - housing, and the voluntary and community sector (VCS) - can support the ambition of integrated, personalised care for people, in their own home or in community settings. The events were held in Bristol on 14 February 2019, and in Birmingham on 28 February 2019, and open to colleagues from all regions.
Both sessions were well-attended, with housing and VCS delegates alongside people representing the health and social care statutory workforce. The sessions were each hosted and introduced by a senior figure in the BCST, and featured plenary speakers and two workshops – one on housing, the other on the VCS - each run twice so delegates could attend both. The events saw speakers and delegates share ideas, stories and insights about how relatively small-scale interventions from the VCS and housing sectors could have significant and lasting benefits for people with care and support needs.
The report briefly describes the workshops and speakers, with links to their materials. There is also a discussion of the main themes and messages emerging from the events.
- Bristol presentation: Full slide deck
- Bristol presentation: Integration - Engaging the Voluntary Sector (Jane Caldwell CEO Age UK East London)
- Bristol presentation: Health and Housing BCF priority and joint investment (Neil Penny Joint Commissioner for Older People NHS Gloucestershire CCG/Gloucestershire County Council)
- Bristol presentation: Workshop 1: Preparing a Regulatory Reform Order (RRO) policy to meet needs (Becky Bell, Home Improvement Agency Team Manager, Regulatory Services, Oxford City Council)
- Bristol presentation: Workshop 2: Better Care Fund and the Not for Profit Sector (Damian Brady, CEO, Tower Hamlets Council for Voluntary Services)
- Birmingham presentation: Full slide deck
- Birmingham presentation: Chair's Introduction and Update from BCST (Jane Lord, Regional Relationship Manager, Better Care Support Team)
- Birmingham presentation: Plenary: Derby Healthy Housing Hub (Safia Iqbal, Healthy Housing Manager, Derby City Council)
- Birmingham presentation: Plenary: Voluntary Sector Support (Charlotte Price, Living Well Project Manager)
- Birmingham presentation: Workshop 1: Preparing a Regulatory Reform Order (RRO) policy to meet needs (Becky Bell, Home Improvement Agency Team Manager, Regulatory Services, Oxford City Council)
- Birmingham presentation: Workshop 2: Engaging the Voluntary Sector (Stephen Chandler, Director of Adult Social Services and Lead Commissioner Adults and Health, Somerset County Council)