How to lead and manage better care integration guide
Published: August 2019
This guide addresses both organisational and system leadership and how this can help make local integration plans a reality.
It is not a step-by-step instruction manual – developing leadership should always take account of different local needs and circumstances.
The checklists included in the guide focus on the most common areas and can be used as prompts to consider other models, tools and techniques.
Paul Corrigan, health and social care consultant, explains how integrating care can only work if leaders learn how to lead outside their own institutions, across organisations.
How organisational and system leadership can help make local integration plans a reality.
Particularly relevant for people involved in health and care delivery, and in integrating complex services.
Attributes of leadership that need to be embedded in successful teams.
Effective programme management and governance is crucial in delivering better outcomes.
Strong engagement and communication is vital for the successful delivery of better care.
We would like to thank the following individuals for their contribution to this publication:
Edition 2 (August 2019)
- Richard Humphries, SCIE Associate and Senior Fellow, The King’s Fund
- Carmen Colomina, Practice Development Manager, SCIE
- Shirish Gandhi, Publishing Manager, SCIE
- Iris Steen, Head of Communications, SCIE
Edition 1 (May 2015)
- Paul Corrigan CBE, Former Director of Strategy and Commissioning, NHS London Strategic Health Authority
- Andrew Cozens CBE, Former Strategic Adviser, Children, Adults and Health Services for the Improvement and Development Agency for Local Government
- Lord Michael Bichard, Chair, Social Care Institute for Excellence
- Chris Ham, Chief Executive, The King’s Fund
- Debbie Sorkin, National Director of Systems Leadership, The Leadership Centre
- Tony Hunter, Chief Executive, Social Care Institute for Excellence
- Julia Ross, Chief Officer, North West Surrey Clinical Commissioning Group
- Peter Colclough, Former Director of Adult Social Services, Torbay
- Dr Derek Thompson, Medical Director, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Jo Frazer, Programme Manager for Health and Social Care Integration, Kent
- Suzanne Wixey, Programme Director, My Life a Full Life, Isle of Wight
- Clare Henderson, Programme Director for Integrated Care, London Borough of Islington
- The North West London Whole Systems Integrated Care programme
- The South Tyneside Local Vision programme