It's my story: helping care-experienced young people give effective media interviews
Preparing to meet the media
The sections accessible here provide the outline of a course to help young people prepare for media interviews. The slides for each section are reproduced within the section but can also be found within the attached PowerPoint presentation.
Different sections can also be used as stand-alone topics for group discussions.
- Introduction to the course
- How does the media see young people
- How the media operates
- What is news?
- News values
- Recognising different agendas
- Using anecdotes and personal examples
- Conflicting demands and hidden agendas
- Deciding on your personal agenda
- Preparing for interviews
- Feeling in control during an interview
- Some techniques for getting the best out of interviews
- How to practise interviews
- Remind young people that the media needs them!