Local authority staff have a responsibility to assess older people who are deafblind as part of the Care Act 2014.
This specialist course is offered in partnership with Hi-Vis UK (Hearing Impairment – Visual Impairment Support UK) and gives attendees a Level 3 OCN qualification.
The Care Act 2014 calls for ‘preventative services’ to aid those with age-related deafblindness. This Level 3 OCN qualification meets Care Act requirements as “specialist training to carry out assessment of people who are deafblind” for non-complex cases.
Areas covered include:
- causes, types, prevalence and definition of deafblindness
- understanding of hearing and visual impairment and dual sensory loss
- vulnerability, social isolation and health implications
- preparing and conducting a Care Act compliant assessment
- communication skills, tactics, etiquette, manual methods of assessment and use of communication professionals
- assistive technology, aids, equipment and rehabilitation
- deafblind communicator guiding, one-to-one support, assisting people to make choices.
Attendees will learn how to meet the minimum statutory requirement of the Care Act 2014 for assessing a deafblind person.
- understand the statutory guidance and requirements for assessing deafblind people
- improve their ability to identify and assess older people who are deafblind because of ageing
- know how to review and redesign identification and assessment processes for age-acquired deafblind people
- confidently identify the impact of deafblindness on the individual’s wellbeing and, if assessed, on their carer
- learn local authority market shaping duty, including collaboration, transparency and sharing.
Who should attend?
Local authority social workers and care professionals.
The course is delivered over two days.
CPD Standards Office accredited course ref no 60036/04.
Book on an in-house course
This is a sample training course outline. It is based on approximately 16 delegates (for online delivery) and 20 delegates (for face-to-face delivery at your premises). The course can be adapted to your organisation’s CPD requirements.
What our previous delegates have said
The whole learning experience has been very useful. I found the case studies very helpful as learning can be applied.