This CPD-accredited course has been designed specifically for professionals working with adults who self-neglect.
The aim of the course is to increase the delegates’ understanding of the complex nature of self-neglect and how this relates to safeguarding adults as well as issues surrounding mental capacity.
Online open course
We are delivering this training as as a one-day open access online course. This course is designed for anyone working in care, housing, health or emergency services.
Next available training dates will be posted here
Below is a sample training course outline. It is based on approximately 16 delegates (for online delivery) and 20 delegates (for face-to-face delivery at your premises). The course can be adapted to your organisation’s CPD requirements.
- an overview of self-neglect indicators
- the interface between self- neglect and safeguarding adults
- how best to respond to self-neglect as outlined by the Care Act and Mental Capacity Act
- legal options and other levers
- how to embed good practice with examples of case studies.
Attendees will learn how to respond to cases. Participants will:
- know how to recognise and work with people who self-neglect
- explore limits and responsibilities of intervention
- understand the application of the Mental Capacity Act in relation to self-neglect
- consider when adult safeguarding may be an appropriate response
- understand best practice and learn how to develop strategies to achieve this.
Who should attend?
Local authority housing staff, housing providers, housing officers and managers, public health officers, social workers, emergency services staff, including the fire brigade.
The length of the training is one full day, however SCIE trainers can deliver it over two half-days to suit your organisation’s needs
CPD Standards Office accredited course ref no 60036/21.
Book on an in-house course
This is a sample training course outline. It is based on approximately 16 delegates (for online delivery) and 20 delegates (for face-to-face delivery at your premises). The course can be adapted to your organisation’s CPD requirements.