Induction Standards for Northern Ireland
Standard 3: Maintain safety at work: Infection prevention and control
It is very important that infections are not spread. What seems a minor illness (e.g. a slight cold) can prove fatal to frail and vulnerable people. With relatively simple precautions and care, these dangers can be significantly reduced.
Look at the following resources:
- The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has produced a series of seven short films under the title introduction to infection control in care homes.
Check your understanding
- What types of infection might you expect to encounter in your job?
- How do these infections normally enter the body?
- How can we stop them?
- When might you yourself pose a risk to the people in your care?
Did you know?
- A close community like a care home is an ideal place for illness and infection to spread.
Record what you have learned
- Your organisation may have a Learning Record Form. If so, use that to write down what you have learned and any questions you might have. Otherwise you can use our Learning Record Form.