Work for the Social Care Institute for Excellence
SCIE is the leading improvement agency and charity committed to evidence-based and co-produced improvement across social care for people of all ages.
A society where care and support maximise people’s choices, remove social inequality, and enable people to live fulfilling, safe and healthy lives.
To research, evidence, share and support the implementation of best practice. We use this evidence and experience to shape policy and outcomes, and to raise awareness of the importance of social care and social work for creating a fair and equal society. Everything we do is informed by people with experience of care and support.
Our values underpin everything we do to deliver our mission, and drive the culture we want to work in.
- Progressive – always learning and developing
- Inclusive – working together for equality, diversity and fairness
- Credible – evidence-based, robust and reliable
- Transparent – open and honest
- Committed – focused on making a difference to people’s lives.
SCIE's Equality and diversity
- At SCIE we value diversity and we’re committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures regardless of gender, age, marital status, religion or belief, ethnic background, disability or sexual orientation.
- We are a Disability Confident Employer, and we guarantee an interview for disabled candidates who meet the essential criteria for appointment.
- We carry out blind short- listing for all of our vacancies as part of our commitment to diversity and ensuring a fair and consistent approach to recruitment. Candidates’ personal details are not available to managers before shortlisting, and equality and diversity monitoring forms are never shared with managers.
We are currently working from home due to COVID-19 restrictions. In the longer term, we will move to remote working, with the expectation of meeting in London as necessary, and the option to hot desk more frequently for people who find working in an office to be beneficial.
All SCIE vacancies are advertised on our website, social media, and e-bulletin. We aim to include interview dates on our adverts to help candidates plan their availability.
Application is via application form to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a response confirming receipt of your application. After the deadline for applications has closed, you will then receive an email either advising you that your application was not successful, or advising you that you have been shortlisted for interview. If you have been shortlisted, we will ask you to indicate your preferred timeslot for interview, and we will endeavour to work around you. We will also ask if there are any reasonable adjustments required.
The interview process will be outlined in more detail. There will be a competency-based interview panel, and depending on the role there may also be a presentation or skills test.
Interviews are held via MS Teams, unless you specify that you cannot use this platform in which case other platforms or telecon will be considered.
Recruitment process FAQs
- How soon can I expect to hear the outcome of my application?
We will advise you of timescales at interview. We aim to let people know as soon as possible, but this can be subject to other factors such as candidate/panel availability.
- When will you contact my references?
We will not contact your references until after an offer has been made and accepted.
- How do I get feedback if I’ve been unsuccessful at interview?
Feedback is always offered, and you may request it by emailing email@example.com
- Why do you monitor equality and diversity information and what do you do with it?
This information is used to help us monitor the effectiveness of our recruitment. It is not used as part of the selection process, and is not shared with the selection panel at any point. It remains anonymous.
I really feel like I have joined an organisation that genuinely lives up to its recruitment process and values. My role is a completely new one and the level of engagement and support from across the whole charity has been fantastic. Despite joining during lockdown and not being able to meet anyone in person, I feel very much part of a team and proud to be part of a charity that is making such a difference to people's lives, especially during a pandemic.
I joined SCIE because of one simple reason. Their purpose. I have found that they are passionate and committed to making sure that purpose is fulfilled. As someone who is really invested in improving the lives of vulnerable people, it was a no-brainer for me to work here.
I have now been working at SCIE for one year and the dedication, commitment and hard work of all staff members is exceptional. It’s a small organisation with a fantastic reputation, making huge impact. It allows for people to use their skills across the board which enables people to learn multiple skills.