Process map and suggestions on how to put the stages into action
Examples of ways to identify young carers
- Hold regular events in schools and colleges.
- Hold regular events in communities.
- Liaise with GP surgeries, clinics and hospitals as appropriate.
- Liaise with universal services (housing, employment centres and so on).
- Identify young carers on admission to school.
- Appoint young carer champions.
- Check that the referral and assessment process complies with the Care Act 2014. For example, does the adult assessment form include a question about who is providing care?
Checklist for the identification of seldom heard groups
- Co-produce everything with people who receive services.
- Hold regular meetings with appropriate professionals who work with seldom heard groups.
- Gain knowledge of local networks and commissioners.
- Gain knowledge of the context and roles of other professionals, particularly if there have been changes in organisational structures and personnel.
- Make sure that there is a clear referral process between agencies.
- Adopt a whole-family approach.
- Make sure that there is clear information about services.
- Consider practice that has worked in your locality and whether it is now compliant with the Care Act 2014.