Messages on mental health by young people in care and those leaving care
We asked children and young people who have direct experience of being looked after, and of current mental health and emotional wellbeing support to share their views with us. This is what they told us.
A big yellow fish – “You’re only human!”
- Everyone can see what’s going on in your life ...
- And pass judgement ...
- It’s like living in a goldfish bowl .
- And you have to repeat your story over and over
Contacting one person only
- More understanding from health professionals
- Consistent support/social worker -friendly
Positive / negative
- Purpose of life
- Meeting people similar to yourself
- Feeling proud of yourself
- Self harm
- Didn't understand until experienced it personally
- Negative associations with the word 'mental'
- People want to help under-18s, but when you're an adult people expect you to get on with it.