Dementia REAL communication masterclass
Dementia can make it hard for people to communicate. This course will give you a range of easy-to-use and effective dementia communication strategies and techniques. Add to your existing knowledge of person-centred dementia care by using the REAL (Reminiscence, Empathic Engagement, Active Listening and Life story) communication framework to enhance your communication skills with the person living with dementia.
This course is offered in partnership with Many Happy Returns.
Greater understanding of an individual with dementia ensures more meaningful interaction throughout their dementia journey. The course provides a mix of activities, issues-based exercises and discussions, to improve participants’ existing listening and communication skills.
- Techniques to establish trust and safety to support the person and their family
- How the brain’s different memory systems function
- REAL communication framework and techniques: reminiscence, empathic engagement, active listening, life story
- REAL approaches to working with family carers and friends to deliver a better quality of life for all
- REAL communication techniques for mapping a person’s life story
- Adjusting REAL communication techniques to a person’s needs as their dementia advances
- Understanding how feelings are at the root of communication challenges
- Strategies for self-care.
Participants will learn:
- the deeper principles of communication that make care more meaningful
- how to provide more relevant support to an individual living with dementia at home or in a care setting
- how to connect more effectively with families and/or the person’s advocates
- how to deliver better care through improved understanding and communication
Who should attend?
Care and support staff working in care homes, home care, day centres, rehabilitation and respite care services, social workers, occupational therapists, care and support staff working in the voluntary sector.
Dementia REAL communication masterclass is delivered over one day
Ask about in-house courses
This is a sample training course outline. It is based on approximately 25 delegates, trained at your premises. It can be adapted to your organisation’s training and CPD requirements.
Book a place on an open course
We are also delivering this training as a one day open access course. These courses are designed for individuals or small groups to attend. Book now for the following date: