Induction Standards for Northern Ireland


The induction process is a means of preparing social care workers for the work they will be doing. Induction standards cover a range of areas such as personal development, communication and safeguarding. The aim is to provide a comprehensive overview of what a care or support worker should know and be able to do. Induction standards apply to all social care workers in Northern Ireland.

You can find and print a copy of Induction Standards and a workbook to plan and record induction activities on the Northern Ireland Social Care Council website.

As a social care worker you are expected to complete the six ‘standards’ within three to six months of starting work or changing jobs in social care. Undertaking induction should be discussed with your manager as they will have to sign to say you have met the learning outcomes. The manager’s role is key as they must ensure you are able to work appropriately. You should keep a record of your learning to prove that you are prepared. This record is sometimes known as ‘evidence of achievement’. It is important to note that completion of the NISCC Induction Standards can contribute to a qualification (the QCF Level 2 or Level 3 Certificate in Induction into Adult Social Care in Northern Ireland).

Did you know?

Providers of social care services are regulated by the:

  • Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) in Northern Ireland
  • Care Quality Commission (CQC) in England
  • Care and Social Services Inspectorate (CSSIW) in Wales.

People who work in health and social care services are regulated by the:

  • Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC) in Northern Ireland
  • Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) in England
  • Care Council for Wales in Wales.

Social care workers and social workers in Northern Ireland must register with the Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC).

Social care workers are not currently required to register in England.

In Wales, the following groups of workers must currently register with the care council for Wales:

  • people who hold a social work qualification or call themselves a social worker
  • students participating on an approved social work degree course in Wales
  • residential child care managers and workers
  • adult care home managers.