Special educational needs and disability (SEND): e-learning course
Making sense of SEND
This CPD-accredited online course looks at the SEND Code of Practice 2015 and the way it influences the way support is provided for children with special educational needs and disability.
Produced by SCIE, and the London boroughs of Enfield, Lambeth and Southwark, this course is for health and social care professionals who work with children with SEND.
- The main legislation
- The importance of being person-centred
- Children and young people’s aspirations
- Developing better outcomes
- Outcomes and annual reviews
- Understand SEND and how the SEND CoP affects children, young people and their families
- Learn what we mean by person-centred and what it means for children, young people and you
- Explore how you can support children and young people to achieve their aspirations as they enter childhood
- Find out how to develop outcomes based on a child or young person’s aspirations
- Be able to develop outcomes and understand the key principles surrounding the annual review
- Saved learning progress
- Online assessment
- CPD certificate
- Email support
- Works on desktop
- Works on tablet
- Works on mobile
CPD Standards Office accredited course ref no 60036/.
Course welcome video
Get an instant personalised quote and order now:
- Register for a free MySCIE account
- Log into your existing account.
Additional discounts are available for purchasing access for multiple learners at the same time.
Cookies must be enabled for this site before you can login
Frequently asked questions
Who is this course for? Open
CPD-accredited, interactive foundation course for health and social care professionals who work with children with special educational needs and disability. Aims to raise all the main issues professionals encounter in their day-to-day practice.
How long does it take to study the course? Open
This is always a difficult question to answer as no two people are the same. There are a number of factors to consider such as level of knowledge, reading speed and in which order the course is completed.
For that reason, our estimates are really quite broad. Analytics shows that learners take an average of two hours to study the course and pass the assessment.
SCORM compliant (on your LMS) versionOpen
If you are interested in hosting this e-learning course and/or the assessment, on your Learning Management System (LMS) or Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) we are able to help.
We can provide:
- Course content: A SCORM 1.2 or 2004 compliant version of the course.
- Assessment / certification: The assessment, questions and answers, in MS Word format, which you can build on to your platform.
- Course updates: We will supply you with course updates for an agreed period of time.
- Custom changes: We can help by making custom changes to the course to meet your specific learning and development needs.
Contact us to find out more about bringing our course to your learners on your platform.
V1 (November 2020) Original release.
Terms and conditions Open
- The price stated is exclusive of VAT. Customers will be charged VAT at the UK's standard rate in addition to the price stated.
- On receipt of payment, we'll issue you, the customer, with course invite(s).
- You, the customer, will be able to issue course invites to your learners. Each learner must have a unique and working email address, and must sign-up (or log into their existing) MySCIE account to accept the invite. MySCIE accounts are free.
- Course invites must be issued to, and accepted by, learners, within 90 days of purchase, otherwise the invite will expire.
- Learners are required to agree that their course progress is shared with you, the customer, before they can access the course.
- From accepting the invite, the learner will have 90 days access to the course and its assessment / certification.
- You can study the learning material (content) in any order, but you must view all the learning material before you can proceed to the assessment.
- During your enrolment period you will have three attempts to pass the assessment. Only if you pass the assessment will a certificate be available for download. The assessment pass mark is 80 per cent.
- Please check the recommended devices / web browsers for this course, before purchase.
- Please check who this course is for, before purchase.
- An internet connection is required, with the ability to stream video content from Vimeo and YouTube.
- All material in these resources, including text, graphics, photographs, video and audio is copyright of the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE), unless otherwise stated.
- Although SCIE’s courses have been used over many years with almost no reported problems, SCIE cannot provide technical support for their implementation or to investigate or fix any reported technical problems, nor does it warrant that they are fully compliant with all or any technical platform. Please review the recommended devices / web browsers advice.
- Video scenarios have been produced using actors. This approach has been adopted to protect the identities of individuals whose accounts have been drawn upon to create the scenarios. The professional reflections are provided by experts (i.e. real people) whose professional responsibilities.
Recommended devices / web browsers Open
SCIE recommends using the latest versions of device operating software and browsers to access our e-learning courses.
The minimum technical requirements are (depending on your setup):
- Chrome: Latest version
- Firefox: Latest version
- Microsoft Edge: Latest version
- Safari: Latest version
- iOS: 10
- Android: Marshmallow (6.0)
This course has been tested on a selection of Apple and Android mobile and tablet devices, running the latest web browsers.
SCIE cannot take responsibility if the course, assessment or certificate does not work on your particular device or software.
Please note: Usage of Microsoft Internet Explorer, including IE 11, is not recommended.