Effective supervision in a variety of settings
Putting effective supervision into practice: Supervision and service inspection
In England, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) looks at supervision under Regulation 23 (Outcome 14: supporting workers) which relates to the Health and Social Care Act 2008. While there may be variability in the level of detail inspectors consider, supervision records could well be something they ask to see.
Similarly, Ofsted, in its inspections under The Education and Inspections Act 2006 will expect to see evidence of quality supervision in organisations providing children’s services. Inspection criteria do not always clarify how quality will be judged but the following examples are indicative of expected practice.
- Staff receive regular supervision of a good quality. (Inspection of Children’s Homes Evaluation Schedule and Grade Descriptors February 2012)
- Management oversight is consistently challenging and results in reflective practice and learning. (Evaluation schedule of the inspection of child protection services January 2012)
Providers must put appropriate arrangements in place for the supervision of staff who have contact with children and families. Effective supervision provides support, coaching and training for the practitioner and promotes the interests of children. Supervision should foster a culture of mutual support, teamwork and continuous improvement which encourages the confidential discussion of sensitive issues. 
All SCIE resources are free to download, however to access the following downloads you will need a free MySCIE account:
- Effective supervision in a variety of settings
- Service user and carer involvement in the supervision of health and social care workers: seminar report
- Practice enquiry into supervision in a variety of adult care settings where there are health and social care practitioners working together
- Narrative summary of the evidence review on supervision of social workers and social care workers in a range of settings including integrated settings