SCIE Report 36: Enabling risk, ensuring safety: Self-directed support and personal budgets
- Action on Elder Abuse (2007) Briefing paper: The UK study of abuse and neglect of older people London: AEA
- ADASS (2008) Personalisation and safeguarding (187kb PDF file)
- ADASS (2009) Personalisation and the law: Implementing Putting people first in the current legal framework
- Alaszewski H & Alaszewski A (2005) Person-centred planning and risk:
Challenging the boundaries In (eds.) Cambridge P & Carnaby S Person-centred planning and care management with people with learning disabilities London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers pp183-197
- Anon (2008) In control? Making sure we're not out of control! Some issues for people considering a direct payment or individualised budget The journal of adult protection 10 (3) pp14-22
- Arksey H & Kemp P (2008) Dimensions of choice: a narrative review of cash-for-care schemes working paper No DHP 2250 York: University of York, SPRU
- Barry M (2007) Effective approaches to risk assessment in social work: An international literature review Edinburgh: Scottish Executive Social Research
- Barnik E (2003) Review of the local lrea coordination program Western Australia Perth: Government of Western Australia
- Bates P & Siberman W (2007) Modelling risk management in inclusive settings London: National Development Team
- Bennett T, Cattermole M & Sanderson H (2009) Outcome-focused reviews: A practical guide London: Department of Health
- Bowes A & Daniel B (2010) Interrogating harm and abuse: A lifespan approach Social policy and society 9 (2) p221-229
- Brown B & Scott K (2005) Person-centred planning and the adult protection process in (eds.) Cambridge P & Carnaby S Person-centred planning and care management with people with learning disabilities London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers pp183-197
- Butler I & Drakeford M (2005) Scandal, social policy and social welfare Bristol: Policy Press
- Cambridge, P. (2008). The case for a new 'case' management in services for people with learning disabilities. British Journal of Social Work, 38(1), pp 91-116.
- Carr S (2010) Personalisation: a rough guide (2nd Revised Edition) London: SCIE
- Carr S & Robbins D (2009) SCIE Research Briefing 20: The implementation of individual budget schemes in adult social care London: SCIE
- Cass E, Robbins D & Richardson A (2009) SCIE Guide 15: Dignity in care London: SCIE
- Close L (2009) Safeguarding and personalisation – two sides of the same coin (647kb MS Word file)
- Coldham, T. and Spandler, H. (2005). Making choices and taking control. Openmind (132), pp 18-19.
- Commission for Social Care Inspection (2008) Safeguarding adults: a study of the effectiveness of arrangements to safeguard adults from abuse London: CSCI
- Department of Health (2007) Independence, choice and risk: a guide to best practice in supported decision making London: Department of Health
- Department of Health (2008) Moving forward: Using the learning from the Individual Budget pilots London: Department of Health
- Department of Health (2009) Safeguarding adults: response to consultation on the review of the No secrets guidance London: Department of Health
- Department of Health/ADASS (2009) Making progress with Putting people first: Self-directed support London: Department of Health/ADASS/IDeA/LGA
- Disability Rights Commission (2005) Whose risk is it anyway? London: Disability Rights Commission
- Doty, P., Mahoney, K.J. and Simon-Rusinowitz, L. (2007). Designing the cash and counseling demonstration and evaluation. Health Services Research, 42(1), pp 378-396.
- Audit Commission (2010) Financial management aspects of personal budgets London: Audit Commission
- EHRC (2009) The impact of human rights culture on public sector organisations: Lessons for practice London: EHRC
- Ellis, K. (2007). Direct payments and social work practice: the significance of 'street-level bureaucracy' in determining eligibility. British journal of social work, 37(3), pp 405-422.
- Essex County Council (2010) Essex County Council risk enablement policy
- Fish S, Munro E & Bairstow S (2008) SCIE Guide 24: Learning together to safeguard children: developing a multi-agency systems approach for case reviews London: SCIE
- Fisher K & Campbell-McLean C (2008) Attendant care program direct funding pilot evaluation SPRC report 11/08 Sydney: University of New South Wales
- Foster, M., Harris, J., Jackson, K., Morgan, H. and Glendinning, C. (2006). Personalised social care for adults with disabilities: a problematic concept for frontline practice. Health and Social Care in the Community, 14(2), pp 125-135.
- Fyson, R. (2009). Independence and learning disabilities: why we must also recognise vulnerability. Journal of Integrated Care, 17(1), pp 3-8.
- Glasby J & Littlechild R (2009) Direct payments and personal budgets: putting personalisation into practice (2nd Edition) Bristol: Policy Press
- Glasby, J. (2008). Individual patient budgets: background and frequently asked questions: University of Birmingham. Health Services Management Centre.
- Glendinning C (2009) Peer review in social protection and social inclusion 2009: Combining choice, quality and equity in social services. Synthesis report. Brussels: European Commission
- Glendinning C et al (2008a) Evaluation of the individual budgets pilot programme: final report York: York University Social Policy Research Unit
- Glendinning C et al (2008b) The national evaluation of the individual budgets pilot programme: experiences and implications for care coordinators and managers York: York University Social Policy Research Unit
- Grant G, Rachmaran P & Flynn M (2002) What are the foundations of person-centred support? Links between individual and person-centred planning Sheffield: Sheffield University quoted in Brown B & Scott K (2005) Person-centred planning and the adult protection process In (eds.) Cambridge P & Carnaby S Person-centred planning and care management with people with learning disabilities London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers pp183-197
- Hall, J.L. and Jennings, E.T. (2008). Taking chances: evaluating risk as a guide to better use of best practices. Public administration review, 68(4), pp 695-708.
- Hendriksen C & Vass M (2003) Preventive home visits to elderly people in Denmark Generations review 13 (3) pp14-17
- Henwood, M. (2007). Personalisation of social care and the future of care management: reflections from a Care Services Improvement Partnership (CSIP) seminar 19th July 2007.
- HM Government (2010) The equality bill: Government Equalities Office briefing London: HM Government
- HM Government (2007) Putting people first: A shared vision and commitment to the transformation of adult social care London: HM Government
- Jackson, V. (2008). Individual budgets and transformational change. Journal of care services management, 2(4), pp 322-333.
- James, A.N. (2008). A critical consideration of the cash for care agenda and its implications for social services in Wales. The journal of adult protection, 10(3), pp 23-34.
- Johnson F, Hogg J & Daniel B (2010) Abuse and protection issues across the lifespan: Reviewing the literature Social policy and society 9(2) pp291-304
- Julian G (2009) Councillor's briefing: Safeguarding adults London: ADASS/RiPfA/IDeA
- Julian G and Penhale B (2009) Safety matters: developing practice in safeguarding adults, Dartington: research in practice for adults
- Kalaga H & Kingston P (2007) A review of literature on effective interventions that prevent and respond to harm against adults Edinburgh: Scottish Government Social Research
- Knickman, J.R. and Stone, R.I. (2007). The public/private partnership behind the cash and counseling demonstration and evaluation: its origins, challenges, and unresolved issues. Health services research, 42(1 Part 2), pp 362-377.
- Lundsgaard J (2005) Consumer direction of choice in long-term care of older persons, including payments and informal care OECD health working paper 20 Paris: OECD Publications
- Manthorpe J & Bowes A (2010) Age, ethnicity and equalities: Synthesising policy and practice messages from two recent studies of elder abuse in the UK Social policy and society 9(2) pp255-264
- Manthorpe J, Jacobs S, Rapaport J, Challis D, Netten A et al (2008) Training for
change: early days of individual budgets and the implications for social work and care management practice: a qualitative study of the views of trainers British journal of social work, (Advance access 7 March 2008) pp1–15.
- Manthorpe J, Stevens M, Rapaport, J, Harris J, Jacobs S et al (2008) Safeguarding and system change: early perceptions of the implications for adult protection services of the English Individual Budgets pilots: a qualitative study British journal of social work, (Advance access March 26 2008) pp1-16
- Methven S (2009) Commentary: A positive approach to risk requires person-centred thinking Tizard Learning disability review 14 (4) pp25-27
- Mitchell W & Glendinning C (2007) A review of the research evidence surrounding risk perceptions, risk management strategies and their consequences in adult social care for different groups of service users: working paper no. DHR 2180 01.07 York: University of York Social Policy Research Unit
- Mustafa, N. (2008). How the United Kingdom's Criminal Records Bureau can reduce the prevalence of elder abuse by improving recruitment decision-making. The journal of adult protection, 10(4), pp 37-45.
- Neill M, Allen J, Woodhead N, Sanderson H, Reid S & Erwin L (2009) Feature: A positive approach to risk requires person-centred thinking Tizard Learning disability review 14 (4) pp17-24
- O'Brien, D., Ford, L. and Malloy, J.M. (2005). Person centered funding: using vouchers and personal budgets to support recovery and employment for people with psychiatric disabilities. Journal of vocational rehabilitation, 23(2), pp 71-79.
- Office for Disability Issues (2009) Right to control: a guide for local delivery agencies London: HM Government
- Oldham Council (2009) Oldham Council factsheet: Self-directed support, individualised budgets, In Control Oldham: Oldham Council
- Oldham Council (2007) Oldham adult and community services directorate policy and procedure for referring cases to a Risk Enablement Panel
- Ottmann, G., Allen, J., Feldman, P. (2009) Self‐directed community aged care for people with complex needs: A literature review. UCCO/Deakin University QRN, Melbourne.
- Ottmann G, Laragy C, & Haddon M (2009) Experiences of disability consumer-directed care users in Australia: results from a longitudinal qualitative study Health and social care in the community 17(5) pp466-475
- Postle K (2002) Working 'between the idea and the reality' – ambiguities and tensions in care managers' work British journal of social work 32 p335-351
- Preston-Shoot, M. (2001). Evaluating self-determination: an adult protection case study. The journal of adult protection, 3(1), pp 4-14.
- Putting People First consortium (2010) The future of social work in
adult social services in England: Statement London: Putting people first consortium.
- Richards P & Ogilvie K (2010) South West Region: A safeguarding and personalisation framework February 2010 ADASS/South West Regional Improvement and Efficiency Agency
- Robert Johnson Wood Foundation (2007). Choosing independence: A summary of the cash and counseling model of self-directed personal assistance services: Robert Johnson Wood Foundation.
- Rowlett N (2009) Letting go of the power: Why social care authorities need to start from scratch to deliver choice and control Journal of care services management 3 (4) pp334-356
- Rowlett, N. and Deighton, S. (2009). Simplifying direct payments: how Lincolnshire County Council utilised risk management to deliver genuine improvement. Journal of care services management, 3(2), pp 131-143.
- Ryan, T. (2000). Exploring the risk management strategies of mental health service users. Health, risk and society, 2(3), pp 267-282.
- SCIE (2009) At a glance 5: Mental Capacity Act 2005 London: SCIE
- Schwehr B (2010) Safeguarding and personalisation The journal of adult protection 12 (2) pp43-50
- Spandler, H. (2007). 'Individualised funding, social inclusion and the politics of mental health.' Journal of critical psychological counselling, 7(1), pp 18-27.
- Spandler, H. and Vick, N. (2005). 'Enabling access to direct payments: an exploration of care co-ordinators decision-making practices.' Journal of mental health, 14(2), pp 145-155.
- Spandler, H. and Vick, N. (2006). 'Opportunities for independent living using direct payments in mental health.' Health and social care in the community, 14(2), pp 107-115.
- Stalker, K. (2003). 'Managing risk and uncertainty in social work: a literature review.'
Journal of social work, 3(2), pp 211-233.
- Tyson A (2010) Self-directed support in Hartlepool 2006-2009 Hartlepool: In Control
- Tyson A, Brewis R, Crosby N et al (2010) A report on In Control's third phase – evaluation and learning 2008-2009 London: In Control
- Ungerson C (2004) Whose empowerment and independence? A cross-national perspective on cash-for-care schemes Ageing and society 24 pp189-212
- Warin B (2010) Safeguarding adults in Cornwall The journal of adult protection 12 (2) pp39-42
- Williams C (2010) Adult safeguarding scrutiny guide London: cfps/IDeA
All SCIE resources are free to download, however to access the following download you will need a free MySCIE account:
- SCIE Report 36: Enabling risk, ensuring safety: Self-directed support and personal budgets