Mental Capacity Act (MCA): e-Learning course
This CPD-accredited online course explores the Mental Capacity Act 2005, including best interests decision-making, and how to support people to make their own decisions.
The course is for everyone who looks after or cares for someone, for example, doctors, nurses, care assistants, social workers, and family members.
- Introducing the Mental Capacity Act
- Supporting people to make decisions
- Assessing capacity
- Best interests decisions
- More complex decisions
- What to do when there is disagreement
- Planning for the future
- Gain an understanding of the five key principles of the MCA
- Be better able to support people to make their own decisions
- Be able to assess people’s capacity appropriately
- Understand and be part of making best interests decisions
- Be familiar with key advance planning tools
- Saved learning progress
- Online assessment
- CPD certificate
- Email support
- Works on desktop
- Works on tablet
- Works on mobile
CPD Standards Office accredited course ref no 60036/37.
Get an instant personalised quote and order now:
- Register for a free MySCIE account
- Log into your existing account.
Additional discounts are available for purchasing access for multiple learners at the same time.
Cookies must be enabled for this site before you can login
Frequently asked questions
Who is this course for? Open
This e-learning course is targeted at all staff working with people who lack or may lack capacity in the health and social care sectors. This includes paid and unpaid carers as well as families. Trainers and students will also find these resources useful. The e-learning resource can be integrated into the higher education social work curriculum either as directed or self-directed study.
SCORM compliant (on your LMS) versionOpen
If you are interested in hosting this e-learning course and/or the assessment, on your Learning Management System (LMS) or Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) we are able to help.
We can provide:
- Course content: A SCORM 1.2 or 2004 compliant version of the course.
- Assessment / certification: The assessment, questions and answers, in MS Word format, which you can build on to your platform.
- Course updates: We will supply you with course updates for an agreed period of time.
- Custom changes: We can help by making custom changes to the course to meet your specific learning and development needs.
Contact us to find out more about bringing our course to your learners on your platform.
v6 (December 2018) Improvements to the learner's progressing tracking. Plus the course can now be viewed on mobiles and tablets, in addition to desktop computers.
v5 (October 2017) Course is now CPD accredited.
v4 (April 2017) Separation of course content and assessment/certification process to improve the experience for learners.
v3 (October 2016) Assessment / certification element was improved.
v2 (March 2016) Original release of the 2016 version of the MCA course.
v1 Flash-based version of the course
Terms and conditions Open
- The price stated is exclusive of VAT. Purchasers in the UK will be charged VAT at the standard rate in addition to the price stated.
- Licence(s) purchased for yourself, or for other specified users, are auto-enrolled on to the course at time of purchase. Licence(s) purchased where the user isn't specified must be activated (by enrolling the user on the course using the provided licence code) within 90 days of purchase.
- From enrolling a user on the course, you will have 90 days access to the course and its assessment / certification.
- You can study the learning material (content) in any order, but you must view all the learning material before you can proceed to the assessment.
- During your enrolment period you will have three attempts to pass the assessment. Only if you pass the assessment will a certificate be available for download. The assessment pass mark is 80 per cent.
- Please check the recommended devices / web browsers for this course, before purchase.
- Please check who this course is for, before purchase.
- An internet connection is required, with the ability to stream video content from YouTube.
- All material in these resources, including text, graphics, photographs, video and audio is copyright of the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE), unless otherwise stated.
- Although SCIE’s courses have been used over many years with almost no reported problems, SCIE cannot provide technical support for their implementation or to investigate or fix any reported technical problems, nor does it warrant that they are fully compliant with all or any technical platform. Please review the recommended devices / web browsers advice.
Recommended devices / web browsers Open
SCIE recommends using the latest versions of device operating software and browsers to access our e-learning courses.
The minimum technical requirements are (depending on your setup):
- Chrome: Latest version
- Firefox: Latest version
- Microsoft Edge: 13
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: 11
- Safari: Latest version
- iOS: 10
- Android: Marshmallow (6.0)
This course has been tested on a selection of Apple and Android mobile and tablet devices, running the latest web browsers.
SCIE cannot take responsibility if the course, assessment or certificate does not work on your particular device or software.
Free version of this course Open
SCIE used to provide free access to the content of this course. The course has been relaunched with an improved assessment and now provides a CPD-accredited certificate. This course is no longer available for free.